Schedule a Consultation
(719) 520-5441
Email us | Map

Modifying Existing Orders

Modification of Divorce Decrees in Colorado Springs

Court orders in family law cases are never “set in stone” as long as human beings and families evolve and adapt to changing circumstances. There may be good reason for a mother, father or former husband or wife to petition a court for a modification in any aspect of a court order:

Even property and debt division orders, though much more difficult to modify, can be challenged after a divorce is finalized if undisclosed or hidden assets come to light. A petitioner may assert that these previously unconsidered assets would have significantly changed the divorce had they been known beforehand. Through a Rule 60 motion, a petitioner can get a court to reconsider property division orders. Newly considered assets may also have an impact on spousal support orders.

Do You Need a Modification of a Divorce Decree in Colorado Springs or a Change in a Child Custody Order?

Modifications to child custody, child visitation and child support are much more common. A court may modify custody and support issues until children are 19 years old. Common justifications for modifications include proposed child relocation, a job change or job loss and extraordinary circumstances such as a health crisis or home foreclosure.

Beware: Do not make informal agreements with your former spouse to alter child support or spousal support payments without a court-ordered modification. Doing so runs the risk of trouble down the road. The former spouse or parent who has paid less may someday be found in violation of court orders and subject to collection of all unpaid amounts, even if both former spouses or both parents had agreed to an informal adjustment of the amount.

Consult with a knowledgeable Colorado family law attorney to determine whether the modification you have in mind is appropriate and how to seek a new court order most expeditiously. If the reason for your proposed modification of a court order is a significant and continuing change (as opposed to temporary job loss, for example) your case for a modification will be stronger and more likely to be successful.

Contact a Castle Rock Child Support and Custody Modification Attorney

Learn what it takes to present a compelling case for a court order modification involving custody, support or both. At the law offices of Lynn Landis-Brown, P.C., we are committed to helping our clients interested in modifying existing orders of spousal support, child support or parenting time. Contact our Colorado Springs law offices to discuss your concerns with an experienced family law and divorce lawyer.

Lynn Landis-Brown, P.C., represents clients in the Pikes Peak area, Front Range area, and Rocky Mountain area of Colorado, including Colorado Springs, Castle Rock, Monument, Woodmoor, Broadmoor, Manitou Springs, Fort Carson, Fountain, Cimarron Hills, Black Forest, Canon City, Woodland Park, Cripple Creek, Victor, Parker, Pueblo, Peterson Air Force Base, Schriever Air Force Base, Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station; United States Northern Command (NORTHCOM), Northern American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), United States Air Force Academy (USAFA), El Paso County, Teller County, Douglas County, Adams County, Elbert County and Fremont County.